You’re in a hurry to load the dishwasher and wrap up in the kitchen, but it doesn’t start – dead silence.
Don’t worry, though, this doesn’t spell doom for your hands or your plans! Bosch is still as reliable as ever, and you can fix things with just a smidge of effort.
So, what’s causing these startup issues?
A Bosch dishwasher may not start due to power or water supply issues, which can be easily fixed. Simple mistakes like leaving the dishwasher partly open or having the child lock on can also cause the problem. Cleaning or adjusting settings should do the trick, and in the worst case, you might need to get some cheap replacements.
I’ll guide you through how to do all that – let’s get started!
Is Bosch Dishwasher Not Starting A Common Issue?
No, most Bosch dishwashers work really well and don’t have issues with starting.
They are known to be dependable and last a long time, so people generally don’t face problems with them not starting up.
Sometimes, there might be small hiccups, but that’s not common.
You’ll never have to do that as long as you do some basic maintenance for your dishwashers, like using the right detergents, loading smartly and giving it a clean every once in a while.
Bosch Dishwasher Not Starting: Reasons And Solutions
Don’t worry, you don’t have to resort to kicking your washer to start it.
I’ve got plenty of simple DIY fixes for you to try, give them a go first!
Let me walk you through all of them.
Dishwasher Isn’t Getting Power At All
Sometimes, the dishwasher won’t start because it’s not getting any power. Here’s what you can do to check and fix it:
1. Power Supply Issues
Make sure the dishwasher is plugged into the wall socket properly. Sometimes, the plug can come loose accidentally.
It’s also possible that the wall socket itself is not working, so the dishwasher isn’t getting power.
If one of these is the case, you can’t do much without risking your safety. Just contact an electrician.
You could check your circuit breaker panel though – it’s possible that the breaker that controls the dishwasher’s power has tripped.
2. Broken Parts
Sometimes, there are broken parts inside the dishwasher that stop it from starting. Let’s look at three common ones:
2.1. Faulty Timer
The timer is like a clock that tells the dishwasher when to start and stop different tasks. If it’s not working, the dishwasher won’t start.
- Get the right replacement timer for your Bosch dishwasher. You can find it at a store or online.
- Turn off the dishwasher’s power and water supply.
- Take off the control panel cover to get to the timer, which is usually behind it.
- Carefully disconnect the wires from the old timer.
- Remove the broken timer and put the new one in its place.
- Reconnect the wires to the new timer and make sure they’re secure.
- Put the control panel cover back on.
- Turn the power and water supply back on and try starting the dishwasher.
2.2. Messed-Up Thermal Fuse
The thermal fuse is a safety feature that stops the dishwasher from overheating. If it’s blown, the dishwasher won’t start.
- Buy a replacement thermal fuse that matches your dishwasher model.
- Turn off the dishwasher’s power.
- Find the thermal fuse, usually near the control board or heating element.
- Use a special tool called a multimeter to check if the thermal fuse is still good. If it’s blown, replace it.
- Take out the old thermal fuse and put in the new one.
- Reconnect all the parts and turn the dishwasher’s power back on to see if it starts.
2.3. Broken Control Board
The control board is like the brain of the dishwasher. If it’s not working, the dishwasher won’t respond when you try to start it.
- Order a new control board that’s made for your Bosch dishwasher model.
- Turn off the power and water supply to the dishwasher.
- Take off the control panel cover to access the control board, usually behind it.
- Before taking out the old control board, take a picture or write down how the wires are connected.
- Install the new control board and reconnect the wires just like they were before.
- Put the control panel cover back on.
- Turn the power and water supply back on to see if the dishwasher starts working.
Bosch Dishwasher Won’t Start But Has Power
So, you’ve turned on your dishwasher, and the display looks fine, but it’s still not starting. Let’s figure out why and see how you can fix it step by step.
1. Improperly Closed Door Latch
The dishwasher won’t start if the door isn’t closing properly. Let’s check it out:
- Open the dishwasher door and look around the latch and inside for anything that might be blocking it.
- Close the door firmly and try starting the dishwasher again.
- If it still won’t start, the door latch might need fixing. You can find help in the user manual.
2. Issue With Water Inlet And Improper Water Supply
If the dishwasher isn’t getting enough water, it won’t start the washing process.
- Turn off the dishwasher and the water supply.
- Check the little valve at the bottom of the dishwasher for any gunk or stuff that might be stuck there.
- If you find anything, carefully take it out.
- Look at the water hose that connects the dishwasher to the water source and see if it’s bent or blocked.
- If it is, straighten it out and remove anything blocking it.
- Turn the water supply back on and run a quick rinse cycle to see if it starts working now.
3. Accidental Child Lock:
Some dishwashers have a child lock feature that stops the buttons from working. If it’s on, the dishwasher won’t start.
- Look in the manual to find out how to turn off the child lock.
- Usually, you have to hold a button down for a few seconds to turn it off.
- Once it’s off, try starting the dishwasher again.
4. Wrong Cycle Settings
Is your Bosch dishwasher not starting the wash cycle?
You might have accidentally set the dishwasher to the wrong cycle or forgot to choose a cycle, which is stopping it from starting.
- Double-check the cycle you selected and make sure it’s the one you want.
- If there are any extra options like “Delay Start” or “Extra Rinse,” make sure they’re not turned on unless you want them.
- Adjust the settings as needed and try starting the dishwasher again.
How Do I Reset My Bosch Dishwasher Not Starting
Sometimes the dishwasher’s software can mess up and stop responding. You can try to reset it – that usually does the job most of the time.
Here’s how to reset your washer:
- Turn off the dishwasher or unplug it from the wall socket for a minute or two.
- Turn it back on or plug it back in.
- See if the control panel is working now and try starting the dishwasher.
Why is my Bosch start button flashing?
If the start button is blinking, it could mean there’s a problem like a clogged filter or a sensor issue.
Why is my Bosch dishwasher beeping when I try to start it?
The beeping might happen if the door isn’t closed properly, the child lock is on, or there’s a problem with the chosen cycle.
How do I put diagnostics on my Bosch dishwasher?
To run diagnostics, try turning off the dishwasher, then press and hold the “Power Scrub Plus” and “Regular Wash” buttons while turning it on. Look for the diagnostics mode on the display. Refer to the manual or ask Bosch for help if needed.
Don’t be too disappointed! Your Bosch dishwasher might’ve failed you once.
However, as a long time user of their washers, I assure you that you definitely didn’t waste your money! The wash quality and reliability are still second to none.
With these fixes, you’ll become a Bosch power user in no time. The only thing left for you to learn is the super handy Diagnostic Mode.
So, what’re you waiting for? Go on and make sure you never have to handwash, out of the blue again – your dishwasher’s going to give you sparkling dishes!